Let me just put it out there. I don’t like the Bread & Butter genre of pickles. At all. Not even a little bit. So, if you are looking for that in my roundup… sorry. I’m more of a dill, garlic and spice gal.
But still. There were so many tasty things happening in the Can Jam this month. I decided to make a basic, straight up Dill Relish and it rocked. I’m not too proud to admit I have been sneaking spoonfuls out of the fridge.
Anyhow, there were a lot of great ideas, methods and spice combinations. You can check out the full roundup here. When the cucumbers and squash finally come in this summer in Seattle….I’m set with an arsenal of recipes to try! Here are some of my faves!
- Oh Briggsy and Dill Pickle Chips. They look great and sound delicious. Crispy dills! Can’t wait to taste and know I’ll be begging when their fermented full sours come around!
- Backyard Farms and My Dad’s Dills. The grape leaves keep them crisp- they look fantastic and came with a great story!
- What Julia Ate with Quick Dills. Because I love that she used lemon cucumbers instead of the traditional green pickling cukes.
- Married with Dinner did Ice Brined Garlic Dills. I haven’t heard of ice-brining… but if it promises a crispy pickle I’m all for it!
- Doris and Jilly did Mixed Vinegar Pickles with cucumber, zucchini, carrots, fennel & hot peppers. Sounds like a great mix to me!
- Showfood Chef wowed me with Watermelon Rind Pickles with Garam Masala & Jalapeño. I am intrigued by rind pickles. I like the idea of transforming something you might just compost (or toss to the chickens) into something edible and yummy. Yet, most of what I’ve found are on the sweet side. I love her addition of garam masala and jalapeño! This I will try!
- Robbing Peter and Leena Eats both did a Indian-style Cucumber Relish. There spices varied a bit from each other but they both look and sound amazing! Mix in yogurt for a raita-ish like condiment. YUM!
- Post-Industrial Eating and Café del Manolo both put up variations of Zucchini Relish (Zesty Zucchini Relish and Zucchini Garden Pepper Relish respectively) that remind me a bit of my versatile Spicy Carrot Relish. They are chock full of great flavors and I imagine it could be used on anything!
- Tigress (Lemon Squash Jam) and The Cosmic Cowgirl (Zucchini Marmalade) both went to the jam/marmalade with their cucurbits. I never would have considered it… but the pictures and descriptions make it sound like summer with a citrus kick. Nice!
Have you canned anything this summer? I’d love to hear about it. Leave me a comment and let me know what you are canning/fermenting/growing/etc!
Stayed tuned for August Can Jam: Tomatoes!